Thursday, October 15, 2009

Grandmother

I have a really hard time taking pictures of strangers, so this was a little difficult for me.  While I was in Cairo on my class trip, our professor took us to the apartment of the family that hosted her while she attended the American University in Cairo. I had been snapping hundreds of pictures everyday, so I asked the professor to ask the family if it was okay for me to take pictures during the meeting.  They said it was fine, so while I was snapping pictures of them, they were snapping pictures of us on their cell phones.

Although the apartment itself was in pretty rough shape, the uneven blue on the wall, the old lace drapes, and the beatings that the door posts had taken over the year made for a perfect back drop.  Photographically speaking, the apartment was perfect.  The grandmother's dress and headpiece made the scene even more colorful.  I was so excited that the family was so comfortable with me taking pictures, especially with these two.  At the time, 20 people were crammed into the room, but by the look on their faces, you'd think they were the only two in the room.

Two Generations


0 comments: